Certificate III in Work Health and Safety is a Nationally Accredited course delivered and assessed by Master Builders Association of Victoria (RTO no. 3935) which assists students to identify workplace hazards, assess risks associated with these hazards and apply risk control (with guidance). This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding. Successful students will be issued with a Certificate by Master Builders Association of Victoria (RTO provider No 3935). For a calendar view of dates, please click here.
Who is this course designed for?
BSB30715 Certificate III in Work Health and Safety would be suitable for OHS/WHS committee members, site supervisors, health and safety representatives or personnel who provide occupational health and safety advice and support to a team, including in a voluntary capacity.
There is inherent risk associated with many roles and tasks on building and construction sites. Students that complete BSB30715 Certificate III in Work Health and Safety will gain skills and knowledge on the following topics:
- Compliant application of OHS legislation, regulations, codes and standards in the workplace.
- Monitoring and reviewing safety management practices.
- Communication, conflict management and negotiation skills.
- OHS issue resolution including diversity and discrimination complaints.
- Production and/or application of safety documents including incident reports, safe work methods statements (SWMS) and provisional improvement notices (PINs).
Students will learn how to:
- Refer to OHS laws and regulations for evidence to support workplace OHS requirements.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of workplace OHS data.
- Identify hazards and assess risks on domestic and commercial building sites and establish appropriate control measures for these hazards.
- Consult with management, subcontractors and workers on OHS concerns.
- Participate in the effective communication of OHS information, techniques and procedures to other team members.
- Contribute to team innovation when addressing OHS issues in the workplace.
- Provide support to OHS specialists in resolving OHS issues.
- Research alternative pathways when seeking expert advice on OHS issues.
Mode of delivery
BSB30715 Certificate III in Work Health and Safety is delivered through a blended model. Submission of assessments is online via the Learning Management System (LMS) and will require a computer, and basic digital literacy skills. Computers are available at Master Builders Association of Victoria and training in the use of the LMS will be provided to students prior to submission due dates.
The course is delivered over 30 weeks which includes the equivalent of 9.5 days face to face attendance. It is expected learners will allow 9 hours per week on average outside class time to complete training and assessment tasks to attain this qualification.
The course has been designed with a ‘one week on and two weeks off’ attendance pattern and includes an assessment workshop day.
There are 20.5 non attendance weeks that do not require face to face attendance. The non attendance weeks allow learners time to undertake pre-reading activities, structured independent learning and assessments.
It is a Master Builder’s requirement for those wishing to undertake BSB30715 Certificate III in Work Health and Safety that they must:
- be successful at a Language, literacy and numeracy (LLN ) assessment & a pre-enrolment review
- have basic computer skills as part of this qualification is delivered online
- have CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry (White Card) – post 1 July 2008
- CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry
- have completed a Red Card course (Pre-July 1 2008) or its equivalent
- be currently working or have worked in the building and construction industry for at least 2 years
be currently enrolled in a degree in construction-related field
At the Pre-Training Review, we need to verify that you have the amount and type of work experience that will enable you to successfully complete the Master Builders course.
For detailed course, approximate government contribution and fee information, click on the Course Information Sheet.
“Have enjoyed the course, learned many things I was not doing well and will now be adding to my business”Scott Feltham - Block Constructions