|This qualification is currently in transition and the units of competency may change. Further information will be published on our website, provided at course enrolment or, for current students, communicated during your studies. To speak to a member of the team about these changes, please contact Master Builders Victoria on 03 9411 4555|
This course is delivered and assessed by Master Builders Association of Victoria (RTO no 3935) and is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding. Successful participants will be issued with a Certificate by Master Builders Association of Victoria, (RTO no 3935).
This course is suitable for you if you wish to build your skills to gain a role in the WHS field, such as an OHS/WHS committee member, Health and Safety Representative or person who provides safety advice and support to a team (including in a voluntary capacity) or to further develop your OHS career. This comprehensive course will to assist you to apply OHS legislation, identify workplace hazards, assess risks and apply risk control, with guidance.
Topics covered include the use of safety documents (e.g. incident reports, Safe Work Method Statements and Provisional Improvement Notices), monitoring and reviewing safety management practices, applying OHS legislation, regulation, codes and standards, negotiation and conflict management skills. Students will gain the skills and knowledge to:
- Refer to OHS laws and regulations to support workplace OHS requirements.
- Identify hazards, including hazardous chemicals, assess the risks on domestic and commercial building sites and establish appropriate risk control measures for these hazards.
- Participate in the prevention of potential emergencies.
- Know how to respond to workplace incidents, taking into account legislative requirements.
- Consult effectively with management, subcontractors and workers about OHS concerns.
- Participate in the effective communication of OHS information, techniques and procedures to other team members.
- Understand how to work effectively with a diverse workplace.
- Provide safety leadership in the workplace.
- Support OHS specialists in resolving OHS issues.
- Produce quality OHS documentation.
Applicants will be required to attend a Pre-Training Review to ensure they have the necessary industry experience, as well as sufficient literacy and numeracy skills, to successfully complete the course.
For detailed course information including course structure, units of competency, learning outcomes, entry requirements, fee options and more, read our Course Information Sheet
Using our state-of-the-art Building Leadership Simulation Centre (BLSC), this course includes a unique simulated learning experience. Set up as a realistic construction site, participants are immersed into real-life scenarios, typical of construction workplaces, giving you the opportunity to practice new competencies in a controlled environment.