Please note that this Asbestos Awareness course is not designed to satisfy the asbestos removal training required for the removal of unlimited quantities of asbestos-containing material. Workers seeking training for this purpose under a WorkSafe issued licence should contact WorkSafe for information.
For detailed course information in read our Course Information Sheet.
This course has been designed for persons representing the principal contractor, such as building and construction project managers and site managers, tasked with overseeing the removal or disturbance (e.g. cutting, drilling, painting) of asbestos containing materials as part of a refurbishment or demolition work. It provides information on how to plan and oversight the removal or disturbance of asbestos containing material, know who needs to be involved and what steps and certificates are required. Participants will learn how to thoroughly plan to ensure all asbestos present or likely to be disturbed, is identified, removed or worked on safely without causing exposure to workers or the general public. Information is also provided on how to deal with emergency situations such as unexpected asbestos finds and persons affected or exposed to asbestos.
The course can be tailored to meet the needs of clients, including training on any in-house policies and procedures related to works involving asbestos.
- Explain the requirements related to asbestos removal and work on asbestos containing material, with an emphasis on Division 5 and 6 asbestos registers.
- Investigate potential asbestos areas likely to be disturbed prior to commencing onsite.
- Recognise the broad uses of asbestos-containing material and how to identify such materials.
- Undertake due diligence when selecting and effectively managing asbestos removal contractors and those engaged to conduct independent clearance inspections.
- Oversee activities related to asbestos removal work or work on ACM.
- Deal with emergency situations involving asbestos.
Our facilitator, Anita Aiezza is the Principal Consultant and Occupational Hygienist at Asbestos Removal Risk Management Services (aRRMs). Anita has extensive experience as a technical specialist and regulator at WorkSafe Victoria where she led the development and implementation of state-wide asbestos compliance programs; the delivery of asbestos statutory functions and audit and inspection activities; and the development and review of asbestos legislation, compliance codes and guidance. Anita draws on her experience and uses case studies and practical demonstrations to make the training both relevant and engaging.