Please note that this Asbestos Awareness course is not designed to satisfy the asbestos removal training required for the removal of unlimited quantities of asbestos-containing material. Workers seeking training for this purpose under a WorkSafe issued licence should contact WorkSafe for information.
For detailed course information in read our Course Information Sheet.
This course is for workers involved in the removal of limited quantities of non-friable asbestos containing material permitted to be conducted without a licence and for workers who work on non-friable asbestos containing material eg cutting, drilling, painting. It is designed to:
- equip participants with knowledge to recognise different types of asbestos
- demonstrate how to safely undertake unlicensed asbestos removal operations according to the legislated allowable amounts
- demonstrate how to safely take a suspect asbestos samples for analysis
- demonstrate how to safely work on non-friable asbestos containing material (e.g. drilling).
Participants will be able to:
- review the characteristics and identify the uses of asbestos containing material
- demonstrate an understanding of the nature of asbestos containing materials (ACM)
- demonstrate knowledge of the different types of health hazards associated with asbestos
- plan and prepare for the safe removal of asbestos up to the amount allowable by legislation without a licence
- follow the OHS Act, asbestos regulations, national codes of practice and relevant industry standards for safe work on asbestos containing materials (e.g. drilling, cutting, painting) and for the safe removal of asbestos permitted without a licence
- show compliance with organisational policy, quality procedures and processes for safe removal of non-friable asbestos
- select and use relevant plant and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- decontaminate work areas and dispose of asbestos materials as required by WorkSafe.
Our facilitator, Anita Aiezza is the Principal Consultant and Occupational Hygienist at Asbestos Removal Risk Management Services (aRRMs). Anita has extensive experience as a technical specialist and regulator at WorkSafe Victoria where she led the development and implementation of state-wide asbestos compliance programs; the delivery of asbestos statutory functions and audit and inspection activities; and the development and review of asbestos legislation, compliance codes and guidance. Anita draws on her experience and uses case studies and practical demonstrations to make the training both relevant and engaging.