This accredited course is delivered and assessed by Master Builders Association of Victoria (RTO no. 3935)
This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding.
For detailed course, approximate government contribution and fee information click on the Course Information Sheet.
The CPC40308 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Estimating) is designed for Building schedulers, project managers, trade contractors, forepersons and those seeking to become a full-time estimator in the building and construction industry.
During this course the role of an estimator will be explored through project scheduling, contract knowledge, tendering, quality and OHS system management, environmental management and financial monitoring.
Participants will have gained the skills and knowledge to:
- Manage work priorities and professional development
- Evaluate and select appropriate construction methods and materials according to the National Construction Codes and other standards and guidance materials
- Establish risk analysis methods, techniques and tools to assist in the analysis of building and construction project risks and budgeting /costing of projects
- Estimate the cost of physical and human resources required for building and construction projects
- Determine project requirements and prepare construction specifications
- Produce construction project, materials and labour schedules
- Prepare a detailed construction file for tender purposes
- Develop and use evaluation criteria to identify the best subcontractor for the project component
- Implement contingency strategies when projects are not meeting budget or schedule requirements.
Mode of Delivery
This course is delivered through a blended model. This includes attending both face-to-face classes and simulated scenarios.
The course is delivered over 45 weeks which includes the equivalent of 29 days face to face attendance. It is expected that learners will need to allow 11 hours per week on average outside class time to complete training and assessment tasks to attain this qualification.
The course includes assessment workshops and a simulation session held at the Building Leadership Simulation Centre. There are 17 non attendance weeks that do not require face to face attendance. These are included to allow learners time to undertake pre-reading activities, structured independent learning and assessments.
Simulation Learning Component
Master Builders have now incorporated an exciting session at our state-of-the-art Building Leadership Simulation Centre (BLSC) into this short course. You’ll be able to practice some of the skills learnt in this course, first hand in a simulated workplace environment, which has been proven to be one of the most effective ways to learn new skills. The technology and learning methods used in this facility are so realistic that you will feel like you are actually on a real construction site. This is unique to Master Builders, as the BLSC facility is one of only three centres of this type in the world.
Master Builders Entry Requirements
It is a Master Builder’s requirement for those wishing to undertake this course, that they:
- be successful at a Language, literacy and numeracy (LLN ) assessment & a pre-enrolment interview
- have three (3) years work experience in the Building and Construction industry
- have CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry (White Card), if working on a building and construction site prior to course commencement
- have CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry or its equivalent
At the Pre-Training Review, we need to verify that you have the amount and type of work experience that will enable you to successfully complete the Master Builders course.
Successful participants will be issued with a Certificate by Master Builders Association of Victoria, RTO no 3935.