The CPC40308 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Estimating) is designed for Building schedulers, project managers, trade contractors, forepersons and those seeking to become a full-time estimator in the building and construction industry.
During this course the role of an estimator will be explored through project scheduling, contract knowledge, tendering, quality and OHS system management, environmental management and financial monitoring.
Participants will have gained the skills and knowledge to:
- Develop customer service strategies
- Work effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers
- Evaluate and select appropriate construction materials
- Establish risk analysis methods, techniques and tools
- Use spreadsheets, applications and documentation to estimate the cost of physical and human resources required for building and construction projects
- Prepare construction specifications according to the project’s contractual obligations
- Produce construction project, materials and labour schedules
- Arrange resources and prepare for the building or construction project
- Prepare a detailed construction file for project managers and site supervisors
- Prepare purchase orders and obtain quotes for suppliers and contractors
- Implement contingency strategies.
Mode of Delivery
This course is delivered through a blended model. This includes attending both face-to-face classes and simulated scenarios.
The course is delivered over 38 weeks which includes the equivalent of 30 days face to face attendance. It is expected that learners will need to allow 12 hours per week on average outside class time to complete training and assessment tasks to attain this qualification.
The course includes assessment workshops and a simulation session held at the Building Leadership Simulation Centre. There are 18 non attendance weeks that do not require face to face attendance. These are included to allow learners time to undertake pre-reading activities, structured independent learning and assessments.
Simulation Learning Component
Master Builders have now incorporated an exciting session at our state-of-the-art Building Leadership Simulation Centre (BLSC) into this short course. You’ll be able to practice some of the skills learnt in this course, first hand in a simulated workplace environment, which has been proven to be one of the most effective ways to learn new skills. The technology and learning methods used in this facility are so realistic that you will feel like you are actually on a real construction site. This is unique to Master Builders, as the BLSC facility is one of only three centres of this type in the world.
Master Builders Entry Requirements
It is a Master Builder’s requirement for those wishing to undertake this course, that they:
- be successful at a Language, literacy and numeracy (LLN ) assessment & a pre-enrolment interview
- have three years work experience in the Building and Construction industry
- have Construction Induction Training (White Card or equivalent), if working on a building and construction site prior to course commencement.
Participants will need copies of the following reference publications during the CPC40308 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Estimating). The cost of these requisite texts ($600-$900) is in addition to the course fee.
- National Construction Code (NCC) Vol 2
- Guide to Standards and Tolerances
- Building Act 1993
- Building Regulations 2006
- Domestic Contracts Act 1995
- Domestic Building Contract Regulations 2007
- AS1684.2 Timber Framing Manual Part 2
- AS1684.2 Timber Framing Manual Part 4
For further details click on the Course Information Sheet.
Successful participants will be issued with a Certificate by Master Builders Association of Victoria, RTO no 3935.