Master Builders offers a number of building construction courses across Victoria, including CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building). This accredited course is delivered and assessed by Master Builders Association of Victoria (RTO no 3935) and is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding. Successful participants will be issued with a Certificate by Master Builders Association of Victoria, RTO no 3935.
For a calendar view of dates, please click here.
For detailed course, approximate government contribution and fee information click on the Course Information Sheet
Who is the course designed for?
CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) is designed for builders, site managers, forepersons, construction managers and other building practitioners involved in managing, or wishing to start, small to medium-sized building businesses. If this doesn’t sound like the right fit for you, we also offer a number of other building construction courses Melbourne wide.
CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) is an accredited qualification, upon successful completion of which with relevant building experience, will support your application for registration in the class of Domestic Builder (Unlimited). The Master Builders qualification contains all prescribed additional units of competency required for registration in the majority of Domestic Builder (Limited) class.
The Victorian Building Association (VBA) considers the CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Constuction (Building) qualification as part of a broader examination of the applicant’s knowledge and experience. Master Builders Association of Victoria can provide assistance with the VBA registration application and interview process. To speak to a Registration Consultant, phone (03) 9411 4555. For more information on Victorian builder registration, visit www.vba.vic.gov.au.
Simulation learning component
Master Builders have now incorporated an exciting session at our state-of-the-art Building Leadership Simulation Centre (BLSC) into the course for Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building). You’ll be able to practice some of the skills learnt in this course, first hand in a simulated workplace environment, which has been proven to be one of the most effective ways to learn new skills. The technology and learning methods used in this facility are so realistic that you will feel like you are actually on a real construction site. This is unique to Master Builders, as the BLSC facility is one of only three centres of this type in the world.
Students who complete the CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) will have gained the skills and knowledge to:
- apply legal requirements to building and construction projects
- select and prepare major domestic construction contracts
- arrange building applications and approvals
- manage occupational health and safety in the building and construction workplace
- plan building or construction work
- produce labour and material schedules for ordering
- conduct on-site supervision of building and construction projects
- apply building codes and standards to the construction process for low rise building projects
- select, procure and store construction materials for low rise projects
- apply structural principles to residential low rise constructions
- apply structural principles to commercial low rise constructions
- read and interpret plans and specifications
- identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects
- build thermally efficient and sustainable structures
- undertake small business planning
- manage small business finances.
Mode of delivery
The CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) course has a blended delivery model. This includes attending both face-to-face classes and simulated scenarios.
The course is delivered over 49 weeks which includes the equivalent of 34 days face-to-face attendance. It is expected learners will allow 13 hours per week on average outside class time to complete training and assessment tasks to attain this qualification.
The course has been designed with a ‘two weeks off at the end of each cluster” attendance pattern and includes four assessment workshop day.
There are 15 non-attendance weeks that do not require face to face attendance. The non-attendance weeks allow learners time to undertake pre-reading activities, structured independent learning and assessments.
In order for students to follow and successfully complete the program requirements, Master Builders requires that they:
- be successful at a Language, literacy and numeracy (LLN ) assessment & a pre-enrolment review
- have basic computer skills
- have three (3) years work experience in the Building and Construction industry
- have CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in construction industry, if working on a building and construction site prior to course commencement
- CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry or its equivalent.
At the Pre-Training Review, we need to verify that you have the amount and type of work experience that will enable you to successfully complete the Master Builders course.
For course details, approximate government contribution and fee information click on the Course Information Sheet.
“The best grounding and registration preparation you could hope to receive.”- 2016Jack Gardner, Commercial and Office Modifications
“My sister and I were enrolled in the Certificate IV Building and Construction Course (through Master Builders). Chi had actually obtained the Certificate IV course online (through another company). However, after completing all the assessments and doing the course, she concluded she hadn’t learnt very much.
I had just recently joined the family business so we decided to both enroll in the Certificate IV through Master builders. The best part about the course are the trainers and learning in a group. I learnt just as much from the carpenters and plumbers in the class as the class content.
The content helped us prepare for the examination but the class discussions solidified our understanding of building which was vital for passing the interview component. One of the trainers became our mentor (Steve Zorzi) and he actually came onto one of our sites and explained how flashings work and structural aspects of construction. Steve and other classmates were instrumental in our success in the building registration process.”Ping Chih, Project Manager - C&C Developments
“A must do before starting your business.”Greg Taylor
“An essential component for anyone considering a future in the building and construction industry.”John Moonen - John Moonen (Aust) Pty Ltd)