|Due to Coronavirus outbreak, all face to face training for this course has been transitioned to online virtual classroom sessions until further notice. For more information, please contact Master Builders Victoria on 03 9411 4555|
This accredited short course is delivered and assessed by Master Builders Association of Victoria (RTO no 3935). For detailed course and fee information click on the Course Information Sheet.
Applying Structural Principles is suitable for:
- Builders, site managers, foremen, construction managers;
- Other building practitioners involved in overseeing or managing the demolition or erection of low rise structures;
- Building practitioners who wish to become the appropriately registered person with responsibility under Victorian building legislation.
In this short course, students are instructed in the use of possible alternative solutions to design or construction problems. Practical aspects of this short course include the examination of particular bracing techniques, wall and roofing systems as well as footing and slab options for low rise building and construction projects. Basic design principles and the behaviour of structures under stress, strain, compression and bending, is also covered. After successful completion of the 9 day course, participants will be awarded a Statement of Attainment for four (4) nationally accredited units of competency.
Mode of Delivery
This course is delivered through a blended model. This includes attending both face-to-face classes and simulated scenarios. Assessments are submitted through an online portal.
What You Need to Bring to Class
You must bring pen and notebook to class. In addition, you must bring evidence of entitlement to study in Australia to your first class (not necessary if you have already presented this to Master Builders).
- Photo ID
and ONE of the below:
- Original or certified copy of green Medicare Card OR
- Original or certified copy of Australian or New Zealand Passport OR
- Original or certified copy of Australian Birth Certificate OR
- Original or certified copy of Naturalisation document OR
- Original or certified copy of Visa or Immigration documentation.
Please note: You will not be able to attend the class until evidence of entitlement to study has been presented.
Simulation Learning Component
Master Builders have now incorporated an exciting session at our state-of-the-art Building Leadership Simulation Centre (BLSC) into this short course. You’ll be able to practice some of the skills learnt in this course, first hand in a simulated workplace environment, which has been proven to be one of the most effective ways to learn new skills. The technology and learning methods used in this facility are so realistic that you will feel like you are actually on a real construction site. This realistic style of learning is unique to Master Builders, as the BLSC facility is one of only three centres of this type in the world.
- Correctly interpret specifications including non-structural aspects
- Analyse and plan for the structural integrity of Class 1 to Class 10 buildings
- Interpret and apply the NCC performance requirements to the classification and construction of buildings
- Apply Australian Standards and fire protection requirements to construction problems
- Apply knowledge of construction methods and the properties and behaviour of building materials to construction projects
- Plan, coordinate and manage the building or laying of footings and floor systems, structural and non-structural wall and wall cladding systems
- Plan, coordinate and manage the building of structural roof systems and roof cladding systems.
Successful students who only undertake this cluster will be issued with a Statement of Attainment by Master Builders Association of Victoria.