CPC50210 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) is designed to meet professional development requirements of managers engaged in the construction industry. This may include:
- Builders, contract administrators, site managers, foremen, construction managers
- Other building practitioners involved with the management of small to medium sized building businesses as well as the planning of onsite construction work.
The CPC50210 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) is designed to meet the needs of Builders, including selecting contractors, overseeing the work and its quality, and liaising with clients.
The builder may also be the appropriately licensed person with responsibility under the Victorian building licensing authority. Builder licensing varies across States and Territories and additional requirements to attainment of this qualification may be required.
The CPC50210 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) encompasses the knowledge areas that may be required when seeking registration and these are:
- Business management
- Building technology
- Operational management
- Supervisory management
Simulation Learning Component
Master Builders have now incorporated an exciting session at our state-of-the-art Building Leadership Simulation Centre (BLSC) into this short course. You’ll be able to practice some of the skills learnt in this course, first hand in a simulated workplace environment, which has been proven to be one of the most effective ways to learn new skills. The technology and learning methods used in this facility are so realistic that you will feel like you are actually on a real construction site. This is unique to Master Builders, as the BLSC facility is one of only three centres of this type in the world.
- Select and prepare major domestic construction contracts
- Interpret contract, OHS and building related legislation
- Plan, prepare and monitor project schedules and estimates
- Apply the National Construction Codes and Australian Standards to the construction of low and medium rise buildings
- Apply structural principles to the construction of low to medium rise buildings
- Supervise physical and human resourcing of low and medium rise construction projects
- Undertake business planning and financial management of a small, low to medium rise business.
Mode of Delivery
This course is delivered through a blended model.
Submission of assessments is online via the Learning Management System (LMS) and will require a computer, and basic digital literacy skills. Computers are available at Master Builders Association of Victoria and training in the use of the LMS will be provided to students prior to submission due dates.
The course is delivered in 95 weeks scheduled over two years and includes the equivalent of 49 days face to face attendance. It is expected learners will need to allow 15 hours per week on average outside class time to complete training and assessment tasks to attain this qualification.
The course has been designed with a ‘one week on and one week off’ attendance pattern. This includes one evening induction session(four hours face to face), training and assessment activities, assessment workshops and a simulation session held at the Building Leadership Simulation Centre. The non attendance weeks allow learners time to undertake pre-reading activities, structured independent learning and assessments (including major projects).
Master Builders Entry Requirements
Master Builders entry requirements for the course are:
- are successful at a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment & a Pre-Training Review
- have basic computer skills as this course is delivered partially online
- have five (5) years’ work experience in the Building and Construction industry
- be currently working on a construction site in a management/supervisory role
- in a position to trial and evaluate management systems, processes and procedures in a construction workplace
- have CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry (White Card), if working on a building and construction site prior to course commencement.
- CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry
It is strongly recommended that applicants complete the CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) before undertaking this qualification.
At the Pre-Training Review, we need to verify that you have the amount and type of work experience that will enable you to successfully complete the Master Builders course.
Assessments in this qualification are submitted online via our Learning Management System. Training in this will be provided in class. It is recommended that you have access to a computer and basic computer skills to submit your assessments. Master Builders have computers available in our East Melbourne office should you require one or our Learning Support team can discuss other reasonable adjustments for submissions if required. Please refer to the Learner Support Policy for further information.
The texts below are required for the CPC50210 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) course.
National Construction Code – Vol 1 & 2
*AS1684.2 Timber Framing Manual Part 2
*AS1684.4 Timber Framing Manual Part 4
Guide to Standards and Tolerances
Hancock’s Roof Guide
Take Out a Contract – Guide to the New Homes Contract
Building Act 1993
Building Regulations 2017
Domestic Contracts Act 1995
Domestic Building Contract Regulations 2017
Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002
Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
OHS Regulations 2017
Steel Designers Handbook (Gorenc, Tinyou and Siam) 2012
Management Theory and Practice, 6th Edition (Cole)
The cost of texts is in addition to the course fee. Please refer to publications order form on the Industry Training Directory for information on pricing. Some of these books are available free of cost and can be downloaded from the government websites.
*These books are not available for download.
For further details click on the Course Information Sheet.
Successful participants will be issued with a Diploma by Master Builders Association of Victoria, RTO no 3935.