This accredited course is delivered and assessed by Master Builders Association of Victoria (RTO no. 3935).
This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding.
The BSB41415 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety is recognised across all industries as an appropriate entry point for OHS practitioners seeking to further their careers in the OHS field. Therefore, this course is designed for personnel in dedicated occupational health and safety roles such as project managers, OHS coordinators, Compliance Officers, Return to Work Coordinators or OHS officers.
This course aims to provide students with in-depth knowledge and understanding to implement and monitor workplace Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) policies, procedures and programs.
Topics covered include:
- Safety management systems
- Australian Safety Standards including 4801
- Compliance with Victorian OHS legislation
- Written and verbal communication techniques
- Influencing skills
- OHS monitoring, reviewing and reporting techniques
- Consultative arrangements and collaborative practices for safe work
- Investigative analysis
- OHS issue resolution
Students will have gained the skills and knowledge to:
- Maintain managerial and organisational level compliance with OHS legislation, codes and standards
- Use personal influencing skills such as collaboration, reflection and feedback to communicate the importance of OHS safety management systems
- Research, develop, implement and monitor the strategies, plans and documentation required to establish a workplace specific safety management system
- Review, investigate and evaluate the effectiveness of organisational safety management systems for reporting and continuous improvement activities
- Instigate and review the identification of workplace hazards, risk assessment processes and the selection of appropriate risk controls
- Provide technical advice and support in the resolution of OHS incidents
Implement an expert-derived emergency prevention and response procedure.
Mode of Delivery
This course is delivered through a blended model. Submission of assessments is online via the Learning Management System (LMS) and will require a computer, and basic digital literacy skills. Computers are available at Master Builders Association of Victoria and training in the use of the LMS will be provided to students prior to submission due dates.
The course is delivered over 30 weeks which includes the equivalent of 10 days face to face attendance, including an assessment workshop day. It is expected that learners will allow 12 hours per week on average outside class time to complete training and assessment tasks to attain this qualification.
The course has been designed with a ‘one week on and two weeks off’ attendance pattern. There are 20 non attendance weeks that do not require face to face attendance. The non attendance weeks allow learners time to undertake pre-reading activities, structured independent learning and assessments.
Master Builders Entry Requirements
It is a Master Builders requirement that people wishing to undertake this course must:
- be successful at a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN ) assessment and a pre-enrolment interview
- have basic computer skills as this course is delivered partially online
- have successfully completed a White Card course (the national Unit of Competency CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry)
- CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry
- a Red Card course (pre-July 1 2008).
- be currently working or have worked in the building and construction industry for at least 3 years
- have at least one (1) years WHS experience in building and construction industry
- have completed a Certificate III in Work Health and Safety
At the Pre-Training Review, we need to verify that you have the amount and type of work experience that will enable you to successfully complete the Master Builders course.
For further course, approximate government contribution and fee details click on the Course Information Sheet.
Successful students will be issued with a Certificate by Master Builders Association of Victoria (RTO provider No 3935).