The BSB41415 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety is recognised across all industries as an appropriate entry point for OHS practitioners seeking to further their careers in the OHS field. Therefore, this course is designed for personnel in dedicated occupational health and safety roles such as project managers, OHS coordinators, Compliance Officers, Return to Work Coordinators or OHS officers.
This course aims to provide students with in-depth knowledge and understanding to implement and monitor workplace Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) policies, procedures and programs.
Topics covered include:
- Safety management systems
- Australian Safety Standards including 4801
- Compliance with Victorian OHS legislation
- Written and verbal communication techniques
- Influencing skills
- OHS monitoring, reviewing and reporting techniques
- Consultative arrangements and collaborative practices for safe work
- Investigative analysis
- OHS issue resolution
Students will have gained the skills and knowledge to:
- Maintain managerial and organisational level compliance with OHS legislation, codes and standards
- Use personal influencing skills such as collaboration, reflection and feedback to communicate the importance of OHS safety management systems
- Research, develop, implement and monitor the strategies, plans and documentation required to establish a workplace specific safety management system
- Review, investigate and evaluate the effectiveness of organisational safety management systems for reporting and continuous improvement activities
- Instigate and review the identification of workplace hazards, risk assessment processes and the selection of appropriate risk controls
- Provide technical advice and support in the resolution of OHS incidents
Implement an expert-derived emergency prevention and response procedure.
Master Builders Entry Requirements
It is a Master Builders requirement that people wishing to undertake this course must:
- be successful at a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN ) assessment and a pre-enrolment interview
- have successfully completed a White Card course (the national Unit of Competency CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry)
- a Red Card course (pre-July 1 2008).
- have three years’ work experience in the building and construction industry
- have at least one years WHS experience in building and construction industry
have completed a Certificate III in Work Health and Safety
Copies of the below legislation are required for the BSB41415 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety:
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2007
- WHS A Management Guide, 4th Edition
Digital copies may be downloaded from government websites. Hard copies may be purchased through Master Builders.
NOTE: Students undertaking study in WHS in Victoria should be aware that the State of Victoria is bound by the Victorian Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 and course content covered relates to this legislation. The terms Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) and Work Health and Safety (WHS) are equivalent and generally either can be used in the workplace. Students should be aware that other States and Territories in Australia operate under the National Model WHS Legislation and students working in the Health and Safety industry outside of the State of Victoria may need to familiarise themselves with these laws.
For further details click here for the Course Information Sheet.
Successful students will be issued with a Certificate by Master Builders Association of Victoria (RTO provider No 3935).