The BSB30715 Certificate III in Work Health and Safety would be suitable for OHS/WHS committee members, site supervisors, Health and Safety Representatives or personnel who provide occupational health and safety advice and support to a team, including in a voluntary capacity.
This is a nationally accredited course which assists students to identify workplace hazards, assess risks associated with these hazards and apply risk control (with guidance). There is inherent risk associated with many roles and tasks on building and construction sites.
Topics covered include:
- Compliant application of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) legislation, regulation, codes and standards in the workplace.
- Monitoring and reviewing safety management practices.
- Communication, conflict management and negotiation skills.
- OHS issue resolution including diversity and discrimination complaints.
- Production and/or application of safety documents including incident reports, safe work methods statements (SWMS) and provisional improvement notices (PINs).
Mode of Delivery
This course is delivered through a blended model incorporating both face-to-face classes and the use of an online portal for submitting assessments.
Students will learn how to:
- Refer to OHS laws and regulations for evidence to support workplace OHS requirements.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of workplace OHS data.
- Identify hazards and assess risks on domestic and commercial building sites and establish appropriate control measures for these hazards.
- Consult with management, subcontractors and workers on OHS concerns.
- Participate in the effective communication of OHS information, techniques and procedures to other team members.
- Contribute to team innovation when addressing OHS issues in the workplace.
- Provide support to OHS specialists in resolving OHS issues.
- Research alternative pathways when seeking expert advice on OHS issues.
Master Builders Entry Requirements
It is a Master Builder’s requirement for those wishing to undertake this course that they must:
- be successful at a Language, literacy and numeracy (LLN ) assessment & a pre-enrolment review
- have CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry (White Card) – post 1 July 2008
- have completed a Red Card course (Pre-July 1 2008)
- be currently working or have worked in the building and construction industry for a significant period of time (eg. more than 2 years)
- be currently enrolled in a degree in construction-related field.
Assessments in this qualification are submitted online via our Learning Management System. Training in this will be provided in class. It is recommended that you have access to a computer and basic computer skills to submit your assessments. Master Builders have computers available in our East Melbourne office should you require one or our Learning Support team can discuss other reasonable adjustments for submissions if required. Please refer to the Learner Support Policy for further information.
Copies of the below legislation are required for the BSB30715 Certificate III in Work Health and Safety:
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2007
Digital copies may be downloaded from government websites. Hard copies may be purchased through Master Builders.
NOTE: Students undertaking study in WHS in Victoria should be aware that the State of Victoria is bound by the Victorian Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 and course content covered relates to this legislation. The terms Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) and Work Health and Safety (WHS) are equivalent and generally either can be used in the workplace. Students should be aware that other States and Territories in Australia operate under the National Model WHS Legislation and students working in the Health and Safety industry outside of the State of Victoria may need to familiarise themselves with these laws.
For further details click on the Course Information Sheet.
Successful students will be issued with a Certificate by Master Builders Association of Victoria (RTO provider No 3935).
“Have enjoyed the course, learned many things I was not doing well and will now be adding to my business”Scott Feltham - Block Constructions