CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building)
The CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) is designed for:
- Builders, site managers, forepersons, construction managers and;
- other building practitioners involved with the management of, or wishing to start, small to medium sized building businesses.
Students who successfully complete all required units will receive their qualification and a transcript listing all the units successfully completed.
The CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) is an accredited qualification which covers the knowledge areas that may be required for builder registration. The Victorian Building Association (VBA) considers the qualification as part of a broader examination of the applicant’s knowledge and experience.
Master Builders Association of Victoria can provide assistance with the VBA registration application and interview process. To speak to a Registration Consultant, phone (03) 9411 4555.
The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) will consider this as part of a broader examination of the applicant’s knowledge and experience. For more information on Victorian builder registration, visit www.vba.vic.gov.au.
Simulation Learning Component
Master Builders have now incorporated an exciting session at our state-of-the-art Building Leadership Simulation Centre (BLSC) into this short course. You’ll be able to practice some of the skills learnt in this course, first hand in a simulated workplace environment, which has been proven to be one of the most effective ways to learn new skills. The technology and learning methods used in this facility are so realistic that you will feel like you are actually on a real construction site. This is unique to Master Builders, as the BLSC facility is one of only three centres of this type in the world.
- Select and prepare major domestic construction contracts
- Monitor and manage business operations and finances
- Apply structural principles to the construction of low-rise buildings
- Use the National Construction Codes and Australian standards
- Prepare and monitor project schedules and estimates
- Supervise physical and human resourcing of construction projects
- Interpret contract, OHS and building related legislation
- Initiate and implement risk management procedures
- Better meet the demands of regulators and clients
- Deliver 6 Star requirements, taking into account housing affordability
- Better design and construct dwellings.
Mode of Delivery
This course is delivered through a blended model. This includes attending both face-to-face classes and simulated scenarios.
The course is delivered over 43 weeks which includes the equivalent of 32 days face to face attendance. It is expected learners will need to allow 18 hours per week on average outside class time to complete training and assessment tasks to attain this qualification.
The course includes assessment workshops and a simulation session held at the Building Leadership Simulation Centre. There are 11 non attendance weeks that do not require face to face attendance. These are included to allow learners time to undertake pre-reading activities, structured independent learning and assessments.
Master Builders Entry Requirements
In order for students to follow and successfully complete the program requirements, Master Builders requires that they:
- be successful at a Language, literacy and numeracy (LLN ) assessment & a pre-enrolment review
- have basic computer skills
- have three (3) years work experience in the Building and Construction industry
- have CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in construction industry, if working on a building and construction site prior to course commencement
- CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry
As part of the course fee, the Master Builders provides learners with online access to all the Australian Standards referenced in the National Construction Code (NCC) 2016 (Volume One and Volume Two).
NCC 2016 Volumes One and Two are required for the course. These are available online but learners are strongly advised to purchase hard copy editions of these texts.
The following texts are available free online but learners may prefer to purchase a hard copy for ease of access.
- Building Act 1993
- Building Regulations 2006
- Domestic Contracts Act 1995
- Domestic Building Contract Regulations 2007
- Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2007
The below required publications are not available for purchase or download from government websites.
- 4 Timber Framing Manual – Part 4
- 2 Timber Framing Manual – Part 2
Hard copies may be purchased through the Master Builders shop. For a copy of the Publication Order Form please contact (03) 9411 4555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For further details, click on the CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) Course Information Sheet.
“The best grounding and registration preparation you could hope to receive.”- 2016Jack Gardner, Commercial and Office Modifications
“My sister and I were enrolled in the Certificate IV Building and Construction Course (through Master Builders). Chi had actually obtained the Certificate IV course online (through another company). However, after completing all the assessments and doing the course, she concluded she hadn’t learnt very much.
I had just recently joined the family business so we decided to both enroll in the Certificate IV through Master builders. The best part about the course are the trainers and learning in a group. I learnt just as much from the carpenters and plumbers in the class as the class content.
The content helped us prepare for the examination but the class discussions solidified our understanding of building which was vital for passing the interview component. One of the trainers became our mentor (Steve Zorzi) and he actually came onto one of our sites and explained how flashings work and structural aspects of construction. Steve and other classmates were instrumental in our success in the building registration process.”Ping Chih, Project Manager - C&C Developments
“A must do before starting your business.”Greg Taylor
“An essential component for anyone considering a future in the building and construction industry.”John Moonen - John Moonen (Aust) Pty Ltd)